October 18, 2016

Andhra Style Menthi Majjiga / Spiced Buttermilk

Hi readers, I am back with another classic Andhra Preparation "Menthi Majjiga" - a "fenugreek flavoured buttermilk". Actually I wanted to post this recipe in summer because it's a very refreshing drink as both buttermilk and fenugreek are body coolants. In hot summer,this cool, chilled menthi majjiga goes excellent !! You can ask why did you post this recipe in this chilled winter?:) Let me tell you the reason,yesterday I had some outside work, I went out !! even though it's winter, here in Hyderabad afternoons are little bit hot and feeling sweating and tired too. So I wanted to have any refresh drink!! after coming back to home I made this Menthi Majjiga (fenugreek flavoured buttermilk) immediate and enjoyed this dish in my meals.It tastes best with fresh home-made buttermilk, but ofcourse you can use outside curd or buttermilk to prepare this refreshing drink.It's really easy to make with minimal ingredients. There is nothing more satisfying than menthi majjiga in hot weathers. Let me tell you the procedure:)


Ingredients :
Buttermilk / majjiga               :            1 glass
Onion                                    :            1 medium size,finely chopped
Tomato                                  :            1 small size,finely chopped
Green chillies                        :              3 - 4, finely chopped
Ajwain / vamu                       :              1 table spoon
Coriander leaves                  :              3 table spoons, finely chopped
turmeric powder                   :               pinch
curry leaves                         :              few
fenugreek and mustard seeds powder  :   1 table spoon


For Tempering / Tadka / Popu :
Oil                                       : 1 table spoon
Mustard seeds                    :  1/4 spoon
Cumin seeds                       :  1/4 spoon
asafoetida/ inguva                :   pinch
Dry red chilli                          :  1 , broken into pieces


Procedure :
1. Take one glass thick, fresh, cream curd and 1 glass water,whisk it 
     well and make buttermilk.
2. To this buttermilk add required quantity of salt, turmeric, finely chopped
     raw onion pieces, Ajwain seeds,finely chopped coriander leaves, finely
     chopped green chillies. Mix well.
3. Heat a pan, add fenugreek seeds(1spoon), Mustard seeds (1/4 spoon).
    Fry them separately and grind it into a fine powder.
4. Add this powder to buttermilk, mix well.
5. Heat a pan with oil, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin
    seeds. Let them splutter, then add broken dry red chilli, add pinch of
    asafoetida. Then add finely chopped tomato, cook it for 5minuites till
    tomato pieces become soft and mushy, turn off the flame.Let it cool 
    for some time.
6. After cool down, add this seasoning to the buttermilk, garnish with
    finely chopped coriander leaves
7. Tasty, chilled Menthi majjiga is ready to serve with hot steamed rice,
    green leafy vegetable dal and tomato instant chutney:)(This combination
    goes great)

Health benefits:

  •  Ajwain / Vaamu seeds good for digestion.
  •  Buttermilk is soothing on your stomach.
  •  Fenugreek seeds are best body coolants.                                                   
Hope you enjoyed my "Menthi Majjiga / fenugreek flavoured buttermilk". Feel free to write comments and suggestions below.Thanks for visiting my blog:)

Nagasri 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! sounds so refreshing. Such a healthy, refreshing drink! 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot DeepaπŸ˜ƒ..hope to see you trying my recipes

      Delete
  2. Loved the fenugreek spiced buttermilk recipe. I loved it and am eager to try as I have made spiced buttermilk with other spices but never used fenugreek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured Piyali !!πŸ˜ƒ give it a try πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

      Delete

About Me

My photo

Hi everyone !! My name is Nagasri. I am from Andhra but staying in Hyderabad, Telangana. I love both andhra and telangana foods. I love Cooking and eating too :).  I like to experiment different recipes.Have a look at my blog,try and enjoy!!! Don't forget to leave your valuable feedback at my blog. Other than cooking I love listening to music. Here I am sharing my experiences and experiments in cooking !!

Nice to meet you all !!
Nagasri